Child Support Attorney

Roberds Law Firm Child Support AttorneyArkansas Child Support Attorney Ben T. Roberds


Following a divorce or separation, many parents find themselves struggling to pay or collect Arkansas child support payments. The inability to make payments according to your child support agreement can result in fines, garnering of wages, contempt charges and even jail time. And, if you are not receiving child support payments, or if those payments are not in the full amount, you have legal recourse. When you understanding your legal rights and obligations as a custodial or non-custodial parent, you can take steps to collect or revise your child support agreement.

Consulting with an experienced child support attorney like Ben T. Roberds can help you prioritize the welfare of your child while fulfilling court orders and rulings.

Child Support

Both men and women can be ordered to pay child support in Arkansas, and gender is not always the determining factor. When a person is determined to be a biological parent of the child but that person is not the custodial parent, for example, the Court may order payment of child support.

Under Arkansas law, a person’s income will be determined and a court will order part of that income to be paid in child support. This means that the custodial parent’s income is not automatically factored in when determining the amount to be paid. For this and other reasons, legal issues surrounding child support are less likely to be about whether or not a person will pay, but how much will be paid.

For additional information, you can review available Arkansas child support charts or utilize an Arkansas child support calculator to estimate your child support payments.

Are you failing to receive child support payments or are they arriving late or incomplete? Are you struggling to make payments and worried you may soon face contempt charges? Child support attorney Ben T. Roberds has had success representing both men and women in child support cases. Call 479-464-0904 to schedule a complimentary and confidential consultation.

Contempt of Court

In the state of Arkansas, you cannot withhold child support payments even if you are not provided your court-ordered visitation. Likewise, you cannot withhold visitation in response to late or missing support payments. In the case of delinquent or missing child support payments, there are steps you can take to address the situation through the appropriate channels, which may include filing contempt charges.

A person may be found in contempt of court if he or she does not comply with court orders. This could include failure to pay child support, failure to adhere to a visitation schedule, failure to appear in court at the assigned time and other violations. Under Arkansas law, a person found in contempt may be ordered to pay fines in addition to receiving other penalties – up to and including jail time.

Most commonly, child support attorney and family lawyer Ben T. Roberds files lawsuits for contempt when one party refuses to pay child support or otherwise comply with a court’s order.  He has successfully represented both men and women in contempt actions and has litigation experience on both sides of family lawsuits. If you wish to pursue contempt charges – or if you are facing charges for contempt – call the Roberds Law Firm at 479-464-0904 today.

But, you may still have questions or concerns about Arkansas child support laws or contempt…

I need to do what’s right for me and my child, but I don’t want to hurt my ex.

Issues of divorce, custody, visitation, and child support always proceed more smoothly when both parents can work together to do what is best for the child. But, these are stressful legal events that represent a significant change in your family and finances. It can be difficult to accept that you need to take care of yourself and your child and that you are not responsible for the challenges your ex is facing as a result of the child support agreement. With the right legal support, you can protect yourself and your child while working to find satisfactory and sustainable solutions.

My ex doesn’t make enough to pay child support.

Arkansas child support is calculated as a percentage of the non-custodial parent’s income. As a result and in certain situations, the court may reduce child support payments to account for changes in the non-custodial parent’s income. Any changes to the child support amount to be paid, however, requires a new court agreement. You or your ex are still responsible for making child support payments, even after a job loss. Contact an experienced family lawyer or your local child support office if you need help making child support payments.

I don’t want my child to get caught up in the middle of a child support battle.

Failure to pay child support – or providing incomplete or late payment – can create a great deal of conflict between parents. Unfortunately, children are all too often caught up in the middle of child support battles. Parents may complain about or talk down about their ex, intentionally or unintentionally influencing their child’s opinion. Other times, arguments about paying child support can leave your child feeling unloved and wondering if he or she is worth the money you are fighting about. When you have professional guidance and support, you can reduce stress and conflict and take steps to resolve child support disputes before they affect your child.

Arkansas Child Support & Contempt Attorney Ben T. Roberds

Are you struggling to collect or keep up with child support payments? There are steps you can take to find an appropriate and agreeable solution. If you have legal challenges or concerns about child support, or if you are facing contempt charges, the Roberds Law Firm can help you protect your rights and those of your child. Contact child custody attorney Ben T. Roberds at (479) 464-0904 to set up a complimentary, confidential consultation.